Life with One Hand


Having the use of just one hand definitely provides lots of new challenges. I'm steadily adjusting, but here's a little info on some of my new-found difficulties:
  • Chopping vegetables - This is basically impossible with one hand, but I am lucky that my friend Christie bought me a fancy cutting board to help. It's super useful!
  • Opening bottles and jars - Again, this is basically impossible with one hand, but the cutting board Christie got me also has a vice on it that allows me to do this myself.
  • Buttoning shirts and pants - I haven't even tried to button a shirt, but I've worked out buttoning pants. As long as the pants aren't super tight, I can just zip them first and then pull the button closed.
  • Putting on a bra - Jim helps me with this since it's really hard with one hand. I will probably end up trying to get some cute sports bras to make this something I can do myself.
  • Typing - I am a pretty fast typer in general so I am still pretty fast with one hand, but it is frustrating to be slower than I was.
  • Writing - I am getting better at writing left-handed everyday, which is weird because I haven't even practiced that much. I think my brain is just rewiring or something. It's strange. 
  • Driving - This isn't actually that hard since I have an automatic car, but it took me a while to have the confidence and energy to try. Now that I have, I'm super happy to be driving and to have some independence back.
  • Eating - Using a fork or spoon is kind of a pain since I can't hold the plate or bowl, and I can't use a knife, but I am adjusting.
  • Showering - I have pump bottles for shampoo and conditioner, which is very helpful. 
  • Doing My Hair -  Jim just puts my hair in a ponytail for me everyday.
There's not that much info out there on life with one hand, but here are just a few resources for dealing with some of the challenges I mentioned, as well as some others:

Comments

  1. Some great ideas here, Jeanne. Move past the frustrations and applaud yourself for the adaptive triumphs. Big kudos to Jim for his support too. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I am working hard to get life back to normal and things are going pretty well.

      Delete
  2. I had to switch to using a computer mouse left handed, and I was surprised at how fast my brain re-wired that skill. Only took about a week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally! Left handed mousing was a prett easy thing to get used to fo some reason.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Turbo Arm

Typing Training Continues