Severed Radial Nerve

Arm in splintI went to the doctor for my first post-op appointment yesterday and learned that I actually severed my radial nerve. I thought I had severed the median nerve because the symptoms in the hand are similar.

The prognosis is mostly the same and the chance for full or good recovery are slim. That said, I did learn a few good things:

- I didn't cut the sensory nerve, which is why I still have feeling in my hand and fingers. This is good on it's own, but it also means I won't face the pain problems related to cutting a sensory nerve. I will probably still have some weird pain, but it hopefully won't be unbearable.

-  My wound looks good and I am not showing any signs of infection. Excellent news indeed since my injury is so deep. Also, I read somewhere that the more extensive the physical damage to the rest of the tissue, the more difficult it is for the nerve to recover. I am not a doctor and I don't know if this is true, but this makes sense so I am happy that I am healing well.

Other than that, I can report that I went back to work today, which was good because it kept my mind off things. I am really tired though so I am looking forward to going to sleep tonight. My new thing is to get 9 hours per night. It's pretty glorious.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Turbo Arm

Typing Training Continues